Thursday, September 2, 2010

Foodprint: Dishing

Sometimes, I pay people to feed me.

Welcome to my latest grouping of random thoughts & food: Dishing!! This was per suggestion of friends. So if this is awful, blame them.

Havana Central

A very lively, bubbly, noisy place off of Time Square, New York that features live music amongst other things. The music is fantastic, it really does accent the restaurant. I was there in July. I had the picadillo. Why? 1. Because I knew what it actually was. 2. It's made from prime ground beef, sauteed in onion, tomato, raisins, peppers, all good stuff.

I have no idea how many calories I ate, but I wasn't worried. Cuban food can be good when it's at its simplest. Health conscious folk should steer from the fried, salty, porky and sugary, but head full on for the flavor.

Havana central's picadillo is delicious and well portioned in my opinion. It was that night's dinner and next day's lunch. It came with a side of rice, plantains, avocado, and yucca. The yucca was fried, but also decoration as it served as a bowl for the picadillo. It was also one of those entrees that taste even better the next day because the flavors just keep developing. The ground beef is savory, with hints of sweetness and a bit of heat. The yucca's crisp and light, however, that's only for one night. Upon refrigeration, it's chewy, but tasty. And plaintains. Yummm. They didn't make it home. It was so good that I to made a picadillo the week after as I was so inspired.

No comments:

Post a Comment