Sunday, October 4, 2009

PB&J, it's not you...it's me

I'm kind of in love with peanut butter & jelly. It was 1 of 4 of my favorite sandwiches that I took for school lunch.

But, sadly, I've strayed from PB&J. In all sorts of ways. I'm a sandwich adulteress.

I invite you all to embrace your inner adulterer. (Just with sandwiches.) There's a bunch of lovely butters waiting for you to run off with them and eat them in secret! Or, in public! But, away from PB&J, because despite our cavalier-ness, we love it too much to just leave them.

Right now, I'm into almond butter. It's great, very pricey, but considering the nutritional powerhouse it can be, it's well worth the price. It's got the good fat - 10 or so grams of monounsaturated, about 17 grams total. It also has 4 g protein per tablespoon. I find the combo of fat, protein and fiber a real component of staying satisfied until lunch.

I get the salted, creamy version from Trader Joe's, for about 4.99. I also get it's compliment, Pumpkin butter, also available at Trader Joe's seasonally. Soooo goood on English muffins and whole wheat bread.


I've also used Nutella and strawberry jam for a sort of dessert-crepe like spin on PB&J. Very, very sweet. I'm planning on sneaking away with cashew butter next, mixing it with blueberry jam, a little CB&J action.

No comments:

Post a Comment